Wednesday 17 February 2016

Katoomba Track Scarf Knitting Design


THE SCARF 

The Katoomba Track Scarf began when I made my husband a Slouchy Beanie and Mittens. And of course he wanted a handmade warm and comfortable scarf with simple lines to match! 

So I tried a few different swatches and everything was too fussy, too busy and just not right. Eventually he said he wanted a scarf out of plain stocking stitch, guys love plain he kept telling me. And I kept telling him that people didn't make scarves out of stocking stitch because the edges roll and they never sit right.  But he was insistent...

So I was stuck until one night when I was lying awake at 3am (as you do) and it hit me. Do a rib border! It would match and be plain. So I tried it and loved it! It doesn't roll like stocking stitch and looks like a railway or bush track. 


Since it was created to match the Katoomba Slouchy Beanie, it became the Katoomba Track Scarf. And one I'll definitely be knitting again. It's a great unisex scarf and really shows off the yarn you choose to use. 

THE MEASUREMENTS

The Katoomba Track Scarf measures 63"/160cm long and 7"/18cm wide. 


THE GAUGE
14sts and 20 rows to 4”/10cm by 4”/10cm square over stocking stitch using 7.00mm needles.

THE MATERIALS 
  • 4 x 50g/50m/55yds balls of 14ply/super bulky. (I use 100% Australian Wool) 
  • 7.00mm/US11 knitting needles. 
  • Wool Needle. 



THE ABBREVIATIONS

K - Knit
P- Purl
Rep - Repeat
St/s- Stitch/es

THE PATTERN
Cast on 28 sts.

Rib Section 
Row 1: K3, *P2, K2, rep from * to last 3 sts, K3. (28sts)
Row 2: P3, *K2, P2, rep from * to last 3 sts, K3.

Rep rows 1 and 2, 3 more times (8 rows in total).

Main Section
Row 1: K3, P2, K2, P2, K10, P2, K2, P2, K3. (28sts)
Row 2: P3, K2, P2, K2, P10, K2, P2, K2, P3.

Rep rows 1 and 2 until scarf is 62"/157.5cm or desired length making sure that there is at least 10g/10m of yarn left.

Rib Section
Row 1: K3, *P2, K2, rep from * to last 3 sts, K3. (28sts)
Row 2: P3, *K2, P2, rep from * to last 3 sts, K3.

Rep rows 1 and 2, 3 more times (8 rows in total).

Bind off loosely in rib.

Sew in ends using wool needle. For best results always block your knitting.
For a tutorial on Blocking your Knits check out my blog post here.




I hope you enjoy your Katoomba Track Scarf! 
If you would like me to make the scarf for you in an amazing array of colours from 100% Australian Wool then check out my Etsy shop here :) 
If you'd like the pattern for the matching beanie then that's available in my Etsy shop here





No comments:

Post a Comment